> Removing floating labels as an option seems to be ok performance-wise.
> There is a performance issue here, but floating labels doesn't cause it --
> it's a victim!  Right after an attack, the labels hang as the AI starts
> thinking about its next move.  This causes the labels to be jerky in their
> upwards motion.  The same thing happens with the waving flags.  The
> performance issue is that background animations hang when the AI thinks.

add some even::pump() in the AI code :)

rusty, maybe before and after weapon evaluation...

> As
> a reference, I get 30+ FPS when idle... 20+ FPS when fighting with or
> without floating labels... and 5-10 FPS when the AI thinks.
>
> I'm not convinced about the performance non-impact of halos, especially
> when
> scrolling -- but scrolling is quite its own issue anyway, right?.

yes... however, when we are scrolling, we have to redraw the screen
multiple times, again little optimizations we can do here (except caching
the whole map instead of just the screen... I let you guess what the
impact would be)

> Thus, the performance improvements gained by allowing users to turn off
> halos and labels is much smaller in comparison to the performance hits
> caused by scrolling and the AI.  If removing those performance
> improvements
> simplifies the code and allows our diligent coders to work on these other
> performance issues, then it sounds like a plan.  It's probably not that
> simple.

it's no so much a question of cleaning the code... this option is used
only at a couple of places, deep in the halo handling code

it's a question of simplifying and improving the user experiance. If this
option is on we have to take into account the fact that we can't rely on
halos to provide information at all...

Boucman