Joseph Simmons schrieb:
> Firstly, I think the requirement that they must have animations for all
> new units is unnecessary, and is likely to make most UMCs - even the
> very good ones - unable to be added. It makes sense to require that they
> have decent static frames, but if you require animations no one will be
> able to comply - or, at least, almost no one.
>
> It is very hard to get art for user-made content. I just don't see how
> having this requirement accomplishes anything other than vastly reducing
> the number of campaigns able to be added. What exactly is wrong with
> having the new units not be fully animated?

I will express it a little more clearly, with animations I did mean:
proper standing frame, at least one frame for attack and defense. Will
update it in the announcement below.
> Also, it would help to have a description of _how_ a campaign would be
> added - meaning, what does the campaign creator have to do to get it
> added? Who does he submit it to for consideration? How much control will
> he have over it once it is included in mainline? (If they lose too much
> control of the creative process, many campaign devs won't want to get
> theirs included).
>
> Most campaign creators aren't familiar with the wesnoth development
> process, all they know how to do is write campaigns and use the campaign
> server.
>
> I personally think the system of having to email new versions of the
> campaign to a specified "campaign dev" who will then commit those
> changes won't work out very well, but we'll see. I don't have a better
> solution without giving everyone SVN access.

I will add a discussion thread in "Developers discussions" that is meant
for discussion changes that might be needed for the policy and to
nominate campaigns. I will create this thread in devs discussions
because this way it is possible to keep the noise reasonable.
> BTW, do I have permission to add SoF?

Yes, you can commit SoF to mainline.

In general what is required to be allowed to get a campaign into
mainline: One dev who thinks it is okay to have a campaign in and one
who is willing to actually add it. Both can of course be the same
person. Best case would be if this very dev also knows someone to
actively maintain the campaign itself. ;)

And here is the updated version of the announcement (changes in the area
of UNITS and MAINTANCE, added some paragraphs at the end):

--------------------------

In the future dev releases we will add several new campaigns to mainline and
make adding campaigns to mainline a whole lot easier. Here is a guideline with
what you have to do to allow the campaign be added to mainline:

TRANSLATIONS
* The campaign must be in wescamp prior to inclusion and all strings that
should be translateable have to be marked as such.

UNITS
* All custom units should follow the guidelines for the inclusion of new units
into mainline, except for the balance part. That is: the units do need to have
reasonable arts, animations and all this stuff (at least: 1 standing frame, 1
attack frame per attack and 1 defense frame).
* All units that are not included in data/units/ do have to be in the campaign
itself (using campaignspecific units from other (mainline-)content is not the
way to go, copy it over. This makes it possible to easier remove content when
something is not working and to easier split packages. Though make sure to
*only* add units that really are needed. If the only change is adding a
portrait, do it via plain WML.

COMPLETENESS
* The campaign should be complete. It doesn't have to be polished in all
aspects, but it shouldn't have any gaps. This means the story should have an
end, and anything that needs to be done after that can be qualified as
"improvement"

BALANCE
* The campaign should be reasonably balanced within each difficulty level, and
if the level has the same name as a difficulty level in mainline, it should be
about the same difficulty

STORY
* The story should be interesting and reasonably consistant with the rest of
the wesnoth universe.. This means that if you point to Wesnoth history it
should somehow match it. If you do vary history in some places, please mark it
accordingly as "legend" or something like this in the intro of the campaign.

MAINTAINANCE
* Once your campaign is in SVN the campaign dev will be in charge of it. Most
of the time, you will just have to mail him the new version, but he will have
all power to change what he feels like changing to either fix bugs/spelling
mistakes/changed WML or storyparts that either do not fit with the history to
match it better. In general the mainainer of the campaign will not have to get
commit access to the Wesnoth-svn just because "his campaign is in" though if we
do trust the campaign maintainer to do some reasonable work (this takes some
time on our side...) he/she will probably get commit access.

PAST HISTORY
* The campaign must be on the campaign server for some time.
* A feedback thread on the forum is a must.
* A mainline developer has to speak in favor of adding the campaign. So in
general: don't ask us for adding it, we will contact you when we think your
campaign is ready.

STORY ART
* If you got *good* artworks, include it. Do not include placeholder graphics,
better use black screens just with text.

PORTRAITS
* Better do use no portraits than bad / incomplete ones.

REMOVAL OF CAMPAIGNS
* We will remove campaigns that are not maintained good enough or that we do
think of don't meet the level of quality we want to achieve. So in general: it
will be a lot easier to get something into mainline, but removing it from
mainline will be just as simple. If we ship a campaign in a development release
it does not mean that it will be shipped in the next stable release, too.

HOW TO GET A CAMPAIGN IN
* There will be a forum thread in "Developers Discussions" that is meant for
discussing policy changes and nominating campaigns for the addition. In general
you will need one core dev (those guys having commit access) who thinks the
campaign is worth to add it and someone who is willing to commit it in the end.
The thread is more or less only meant to give core devs "hints" about which
campaigns *could* be okay.

WILL I LOSE ALL POWER OVER MY CAMPAIGN?
* Hmmm, hard to tell. In general we will of course consider everything you say
about it. Though we might change some smaller things to smooth some edges. As
long as you actively do maintain the campaign we will only make smaller changes
and fixes, once you abandon it, we might change it more radically (or remove it
from mainline).

Following this guideline some campaigns have already been added to mainline
since 1.3.2:
"Northern Rebirth" and "Son of the Black Eye" were the first ones to be added
following these rules, others are to follow.

More comments are welcome. If there are none (either in the IRC or on the ml) I
will upload this version in some hours (8 or such).
Cheers,
Nils Kneuper aka Ivanovic