Content *can* now be "created more independently of the core."
It's now trivial to add or remove campaigns from mainline, rather than
the minor surgery that it used to entail.

I must have missed the "move to a smaller game core".  How long ago
was that?

But you do make a valid point.  Add-ons are very easy to add.
There's no need to try to package all the good content with the core.

However, it's probably true that 90% of our players will play or at
least
try the included campaigns before venturing to the add-on server.
So i think it is important to make sure the main game ships with a
good sample of our best content.

— eleazar / j.w. bjerk