allefant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Indeed. Instead of one system working good, there are multiple
> half-working ones (e.g. in my case, I maintain the scons build, so
> it's almost untested for Windows with VC and for OSX).

I think we'll probably end up scrapping that one in favor of a single
cross-platform scons build.

You've also incidentally given me one other piece of good news:
Wesnoth will have a minimum of *three* scons-knowledgeable devs --
you, maxy, and me once I get through my learning phase.  That's much
better than we were doing with autotools, and makes the part of me
that's perpetually itchy about long-term maintenance load much
happier.

(Our release manager is going to need to learn scons too.  Alas I
suspect Ivanovic still carrying a bit of a torch for cmake...so sad,
too bad.)

> But anyway, apparently ESR already started creating a prototype scons
> build for Wesnoth, so that will give a much better impression of what
> it looks like :)

SConstruct in the top-level directory.

There are a few obvious missing features in scons: environment and
options dictionaries should be directly accessible via the []
operator, and I'm puzzled that there's not a built-in
command-existence test.

Nevertheless, it's pretty well designed.  The scons build spec is
going to be a drastically simpler and more flexible thing than the
autotools machinery ever was, and far easier to maintain.