Eric Raymond wrote:
> On the other hand, I think it *is* important that all the
> static-object annotations associated with a map live in its .map file.
> If they're separated from the map data, editing them and keeping
> the map and annotation parts in sync will get messy and attract bugs.

Yes and no.
There are map related objects that don't change no matter which scenario
is played on.
And there are scenario specific objects that are better placed in the
scenario.

An example:
LoW shares maps between several scenarios that take place at the same
location.
This is true for scenario7 where 2 battles take place.
All named villages or sights will go in the map file while the locations
that are used
for story cut scene movement will go in the scenario file.
> The roadmap needs to look like this:
>
> 1. Design an enhancement to the map file format that allows it to
> contain annotations for the three kinds of static objects.

My proposal is to leave the map file format as it is and introduce a wml
tag called [map].

The [map] recognises the already existing subtags [label], [item],
[unit] and [sound_source].
Additional code is needed for a [named_location] tag.
The game engine will tread all children of [map] just like if they are
processed in [scenario]'s toplevel.

It can be located either in the scenario file or an extra file
containing the map_data as well.
> 2. Make the map editor able to display and edit these annotations.
>
> 3. Enhance the WML engine so that scenario WML can aee the placed
> labels, scenery/item images, and named locations.

This should be trivial. The [scenario] processor could just lift the
[map] contents to toplevel.
The only missing feature is the tag that describes the named map locations.