The idea (maybe naïve)  was to allow map designers to move map closer
to the front line without breaking the balance by making village
grabbing less of a decisive move (giving an opponent a chance to
mitigate dammage) in such a way that villages that are further away
from the frontline are not affected (if no fight takes place the
behaviour isn't changed)

I don't think it favors defensive players much since most fighting
takes place further of villages (because villages close to disputed
areas tend to prevent balance in current game)