2010/3/10 jeremy rosen <jeremy.ro...@enst-bretagne.fr>

> hmm interesting proposal, here are my first thought (so no deep
> thinking, just ideas thrown around)
>
> * we are really early in the GSOC process, organisations havn't even
> been chosen by google yet...

Yup, I'm aware of that.

> * I won't directly voice on the overall desirability, I think our MP
> devs are more competent on that aspect
> * please do a Wiki page for your proposal, it's always more handy for
> us than forum/mail

I'll wait until some MP dev gives me a general idea of whether the idea is
welcome or not, and then I'll get to work on a wiki page.

> * this is probably the right level of complexity for a GSOC

Good news.

> * right now the MP server is only able to broadcast to all players, so
> we would have to rely on the oponent's client good faith not to
> display undoable moves (just like we do with fog)
> * beware of potential conflict with the "new alliance" GSOC project
> (if it's accepted)
> * don't worry too much about the display part at this point, that's
> easy to tweak later...

All noted.

> * about the displaying of combat stat and menus : remember that we
> have a philosophy that players don't need to be in front of their
> screen when it's not their turn. If you display combat stats, the
> player might have to dismiss it for the combat to take place which
> break that philosophy.

I'd rather show it in a non-interactive way, so that it disappears as soon
as the active player has made his choice. As I said my goal is to reproduce
as much as possible the experience of cooperative hot-seat.

> we had an idea some time ago to solve the problem of "nothing to do
> during oponent's turn" which is not conflicting with your idea, is
> much simpler and touch some common areas of code. It's a bit
> complicated for an EasyCoding, but i'll explain it anyway since it's a
> good way for you to start.
>
> The idea is to use the current "goto" system to help players move
> units during other player's turn.
>
> If we allow players to set gotos for their units during other people's
> turn and not autoplay goto at begining of turn (gotos would be
> executed only when the unit is selected and the shortcut is pressed)
> we allow players to think their move early and have a quick review
> process at the start of their turn (next unit, review position,
> execute or cancel goto, next unit...)
>
> this causes no network traffic, is only an ergonomical change, and
> should make the out of turn period more useful.
>
> their might need some changes to the display to see all units gotos at
> the same time or something. This idea is not complete at this point

Could be a nice preliminary project indeed, even though designing the proper
interface might not be easy. Also it sounds like it could conflict with the
"show dialogs" part of my proposal: imagine trying to set a goto just to
have an attack dialogue pop-up in your face (I guess it could turn
transparent when you hover your mouse over it though, to get out of your
way). There would be the same kind of conflict with the vanilla "track enemy
moves" features, which would scroll the map just as you were about to click
to set a goto.
I guess we'll need a very easily accessible toggle, i.e. not hidden in a
menu, where you can switch between a) "don't bother me mode", where you can
set your gotos without being interrupted and b) "show me what's going on
mode", which would show events as configured by your other options.

Cheers,
Gabba