On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 12:28:19PM +0100, jeremy rosen wrote:
> remember what we learned with the python AI:
>
> if we allow people to wirte AI in Java, then Java becomes a mandatory
> part of all wesnoth, since WML might contain java plugs which would
> make the scenario unplayable for people without java
>
> (and yes we tried all sort of stuff including but not limited to
> falling back on another AI, we eventually gave up)

Another disadvantage I see is that it would change the AI language
again. I rather see the current work Crab did extended further and
improve the lua bindings further.

Once that's done I hope to find out whether our users really like to
write their own AI.

> my overall impression is that Java is wesnoth is a bad idea,
> especially in an area where we already have lua

Agreed, I also expect the same problems with Java as with Python. The
language isn't meant to be used in a sandbox and opens the risk of
security issues. Lua on the other hand is designed for the task.

--
Regards,
Mark de Wever aka Mordante/SkeletonCrew