My opinion on SF.net vs GitHub stems from previous experience with SVN
projects on SF.net (as the founder administrator of the Wesnoth-UMC-Dev
project), FRS-exclusive projects on SF.net (Wesnoth-TC, Wesnoth RCX), and my
experience with GitHub as my primary Git hosting platform [1].

[1] https://github.com/shikadilord?tab=repositories

I find SourceForge.net to be very, very dense in the UX department (perhaps
even more than Gna.org, which runs on ancient software from the last century)
to the point that even in spite of exactly five years of experience I keep
getting myself lost. It doesn't help that every change to the SF.net platform
seems to be focused on making life easier for the platform maintainers and not
necessarily the end-users.

The fact that the Allura platform is open-source to me means absolutely
*nothing*. As a corporately-run website (see the SF.net site footer) [2] which
has even changed hands over time, they are still able to do whatever they want
with the site and the projects hosted in there -- and they have in fact done
so multiple times before. I personally have not been able to make a decision
with regards to Wesnoth-UMC-Dev and the switch to Allura because SF.net's
handling of the process for SVN repositories seems to have improved only very,
very recently [3], which is quite the big warning sign to me with regards to
how they manage things from a technical standpoint, regardless of their open-
source status.

[2] http://www.diceholdingsinc.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=211152&p=irol-landing
[3] http://is.gd/ZoUIE0 (UUID issue only solved around 2013-01-14).

GitHub is both rumored to be closed-source (although as previously mentioned
by Alexander/AI0867, their repository hooks are open-source and open to pull
requests from the community, a thing which I have done myself [3] in the past)
and corporately-run. Considering that we would be using a DVCS (and hopefully
mirroring the upstream repository internally at Wesnoth.org) either way, the
difference seems negligible and purely based on politico-ideological arguments
to me.

[3] http://shadowm.rewound.net/blog/?p=244

Regarding what AI0867 said before:

On Saturday 30 March 2013 12:47:31 Alexander van Gessel wrote:
> On github, the services are an open source project that you can fork and
> submit pull requests for. There are hundreds of hooks available.
> On sourceforge, you can use the shell to install whatever you want in the
> limited environment you get (ancient software, no network, email only).
> I've successfully managed to get notifications out of it and delivered to
> my server, but the pipeline is pretty much feature-free and I would much
> prefer throw it out and use the hook I wrote for github instead.

The fact is that he had to do a _lot_ of coding work to get us irker
notifications via email because of the networking restrictions in place there.
At least on GitHub we should be able to use their irker hook with our own
public irker server, or the CIA hook with our irker CIA proxy, or even a
generic IRC hook as a last resort, without having to do any work on our own.

The "metadata" issue previously brought up regarding GitHub is actually non-
existent to the best of my knowledge, since there has been some talk before
about hosting our own issue tracker on our own facilities because of perceived
limitations found both with SF.net's issue tracker and GitHub's. Depending on
the software that will be used, there's probably already GitHub service hooks
available for it -- I see at least Bugzilla (OSS, extremely popular but very
poor in the usability dept.), Jira (commercial), Trac (OSS, no experience with
it myself), and Redmine (OSS too, no experience either) in my list.

For those who want to take a look at GitHub's service hooks list and don't
have a GitHub and repository to check at the moment, I suppose the list on
their hooks repository's docs/ dir [4] might be useful.

[4] https://github.com/github/github-services/tree/master/docs

I think this is all I have to say on the matter for now. My opinion could be
summed up "I don't care too much either way, but given the choice I would
rather use GitHub and stick to SF.net only for FRS as we have always done".

--
Regards
  Ignacio Riquelme Morelle <shadowmaster>