Dear folks, one hundred years of existance as a people is a lng time to
remember. I suggest we have a week of activities including a cultural fair,
trade fair en launch a gallery a sort of modern museum to preserve west
niles achievements and history for posterity. Wilfred
On May 18, 2013 3:36 AM, "Charles Male" <cdm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Elly,
>
> You make a lot of sense. We should celebrate 100 years of WN!
> Historians will tell us that may be before 1914 we were disparate
> parts of Kongo and not necessarily a united WN. If there is anything
> to unite WN, then this is the opportunity to do so.
>
> My 2 cents.
>
> Charles
>
> ------------------------------------
>  5/17/13, Nayenda Elly <ellynaye...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> > West Nile was curved as part of Uganda in 1914 and next year we make 100
> > year.
> > We produced a President, 2 Vice Presidents, a Speaker of the National
> > Assembly, couple of Ambassadors, Three ArchBishops, Couple of
Professors,
> > Gold Medalists in athletics, the team in the CAF finals of 1978 had two
or
> > so sons of West Nile e.t.c.
> > We have achieved something but have the capacity to super-cede this.
> > As we make 100 years can we do some social audit and lay the stage for
our
> > progress in the next 100 years. A university is being born in West Nile,
> > what is our support to this University?
> > Can we engage in the future of West Nile?
> > How do we plan to celebrate 100 years in Uganda? Does it make sense to
you?
> > God bless.
> > Thanks
> > Elly
> >
> > --- On Wed, 5/15/13, Sebastian Owilla <sebastian.owi...@mrcuganda.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > From: Sebastian Owilla <sebastian.owi...@mrcuganda.org>
> > Subject: [WestNileNet] Walking the talk to Muni University
> > To: "westnilenet@kym.net" <westnilenet@kym.net>
> > Date: Wednesday, May 15, 2013, 7:08 AM
> >

> > Dear Colleagues,
> >
> > It is true that quite a lot has been discussed and it is like time for
> > implementation is long overdue. I can sense that  some people are losing
> > hope and might, hold back, in future discussion. I wish to take sides:
> >   I agree that we need to do something now, else we shall never.
> >                 On the other hand, West Nile, just like other regions
needs
> > economic revival. I hear about gone days (between 1960 – 1980) during
which
> > hard work was proven. Custodians of our taxes were trustworthy. They,
to a
> > larger extent,
> >  cared for all the civil servants. Consequently, security, health,
> > education, and many other sectors of productivity took better shape.
Which
> > was why a pupil sitting for PLE in Arua public or Moyo Girls would
choose
> > and make it to either Gayaza or Sir Samuel
> >  Baker (later known as Pongdwongo). There was no need for a parent to
go to
> > an HM to ‘beg’ for vacancy. You just wait for your acceptance letter by
the
> > postal services. Today the sort of system of governance we are in is
tending
> > towards capitalism.
> >
> > I have no problem with what one does to earn a living; as long as it is
> > morally acceptable; we should encourage our people to work as really
they
> > are hard working. Once upon a time, most Ma’di people sniggered
> >  the lugbara  communities who migrated and settled among them.
Generally the
> > Lugbara women took to business of selling food and other merchandises.
While
> > most Ma’di women engaged in the ‘brewery industries’ producing pkhete,
wiri,
> > nguli, etc. The Ma’di woman
> >  brewing and earning a living from it, consoled herself that she was
better
> > than a ‘Lubwari zi’ living by doing some businesses (selling tea,
sumbusa,
> > mandazi etc). And I think the Lugbara women on their part had good
reasons
> > not to take on the ‘industry’ of
> >  the Ma’di women. Each was right and at the same time wrong. Today the
trend
> > seems to be duplicating itself across regions: the majority of the
private
> > security guards come from either West Nile, Northern region or Lango and
> > Teso sub regions. Most of the workers
> >  in the sugar and tea plantations come from the same areas.
> >
> > I love my people and value what they do to honestly earn their living.
My
> > problem is in the situation where the hard-earned money does not get
> > re-invested. Our people are very innovative and look forward to a
> >  better future. This was exhibited in coming up with CUCUA, and ERO.
While
> > the Lugbara people had both Ero and Cucua, the Ma’di people only
depended on
> > ero. In capitalism, consideration should be made for continued
investments,
> > not consuming profits. Check
> >  how you spend your money!!!
> >
> > The point I am making is that the advent of capitalism comes with
challenges
> > and the prices have to be paid. We need either to improve on our
existing
> > economic activities, or phase out the obsolete ones and adopt
> >  rather newer alternatives. Perceptions have to change and then take
> > advantage of every opportunity to etch out economic values which then
can be
> > translated in to real cash. Without economic empowerment, the sour,
> > otherwise bitter side of life will be the only
> >  alternative. This includes journey to Muni University. It is near us,
but
> > going there requires money. Not just money to enter University, but
money to
> > go through pre-primary education, primary, and secondary education.
Some of
> > you know what I am taking about.
> >  The current form of UPE will never lay a good foundation in our
children
> > for competitive tertiary institution. Most of the schools we have in
West
> > Nile are depending the already failing UPE – misplaced hope. What the
people
> > in this forum could do is to use
> >  the governance system already in place to suggest, but not authorise
> > changes. The system is like a pyramid – the rule is by the top not
bottom.
> > The private sector thrives better that the public. That is why we need
> > investors.  A teacher hired to work in a
> >  private school in most cases deliver; however, those on the government
pay
> > roll will not deliver – the assumption is that all graduated from EREPI
TTC
> > .
> >
> > In conclusion, approach should be economic empowerment so that we can
afford
> > to send our children to schools were teachers are well motivated.
> >
> > Back to you.
> >
> > Sebastian
> >

> > DISCLAIMER: This message is private and confidential. If you have
received
> > this message in error please notify us and remove it from your system.
Any
> > views and opinions expressed in this message are those of the individual
> > sender and do not necessarily represent the views and opinions of
MRC/UVRI