There is a school of thought that such institutions are not compatible with
"modernity", the reality is that such institutions play critical roles in
preserving some core values (some of which we have lost but can be revived) and
more. We have these values in plenty for which the rest of the people in Uganda
actually admire us.

The value of such institution zeros down to how it positions it self as Aggrey
has observed. In "advanced" countries in Europe like Belgium, Netherlands and
United Kingdom (of course there are those who prefer republican countries) the
main uniting factor in the face of various political divides has been and
continues to be such an institution.

Much as others may have the view that we have other pressing issues, the Agofe
institution can actually provide some solutions to some of our problems. In
developing our Agofe institution, we can learn from the our past and present
experiences, and the experiences of other chiefdom's and kingdom's in Uganda
and else where.

Andama Felix Adiburu
CONSULTANT - Public Administration and Management
Uganda Management Institute
Plot 44-52, Jinja Road
P. O Box 20131
Kampala - Uganda