Also, Cygwin requires a large installed environment. It may be possible to
link statically and adapt everything in order to produce a single (large...)
binary but that would be rather an ugly hack.
MingW could be better, I really don't use it personally but I know the
(standalone, portable) mame win32 binary is compiled with that.
Nevertheless, Visual C++ is the de facto standard on the windows platforms,
so supporting it if possible renders (self compiled) wget accessible to a
larger audience. Now, if this means hacking the source too much I think the
"more recent vc++ only" path shoule be tried first before throwing away vc++
support altogether.

Said that, in retr.c simplifying the int rdsize line did not solve, but I
tried the following, we have:
#ifndef MIN
# define MIN(i, j) ((i) <= (j) ? (i) : (j))
#endif
    int rdsize = exact ? MIN (toread - sum_read, dlbufsize) : dlbufsize;
    double tmout = opt.read_timeout;

Commenting out the double tmout... line removes the compiler error, OR
exact ? (toread... (without MIN!) does compile, OR
commenting out the #ifndef MIN..#endif does compile (in other words, MIN is
already defined somewhere, how can I discover where?), however changing any
occurence of MIN to XXXTEST still generates the compiler error, as
Something simple like this
    int rdsize = 1;
    double tmout = opt.read_timeout;
compiles, as does this
    int rdsize = dlbufsize;
    double tmout = opt.read_timeout;
or this
    int rdsize = toread - sum_read;
    double tmout = opt.read_timeout;
while this one
    int rdsize;
    rdsize = 1;
    double tmout = opt.read_timeout;
fails with
retr.c(263) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'type'
retr.c(269) : error C2065: 'tmout' : undeclared identifier
(where line 263 is the double tmout=...).

Any suggestions for other tests ?
Heiko

--
-- PREVINET S.p.A. www.previnet.it
-- Heiko Herold [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]