On Friday 15 April 2005 07:24 am, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
> Herold Heiko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > However there are still lots of people using Windows NT 4 or even
> > win95/win98, with old compilers, where the compilation won't work
> > without the patch.  Even if we place a comment in the source file or
> > the windows/Readme many of those will be discouraged, say those who
> > do have a compiler but aren't really developers (yet) (for example
> > first year CS students with old lab computer compilers).
>
> From my impressions of the Windows world, non-developers won't touch
> source code anyway -- they will simply use the binary.
>
> The really important thing is to make sure that the source works for
> the person likely to create the binaries, in this case you.  Ideally
> he should have access to the latest compiler, so we don't have to
> cater to brokenness of obsolete compiler versions.  This is not about
> Microsoft bashing, either: at at least one point Wget triggered a GCC
> bug; I never installed the (ugly) workaround because later versions of
> GCC fixed the bug.
>
> Also note that there is a technical problem with your patch (if my
> reading of it is correct): it unconditionally turns on debugging,
> disregarding the command-line options.  Is it possible to save the old
> optimization options, turn off debugging, and restore the old options?
> (Borland C seems to support some sort of "#pragma push" to achieve
> that effect.)
>
> There are other possibilities, too:
>
> * Change the Makefile to compile the offending files without
>   optimization, or with a lesser optimization level.  Ideally this
>   would be done by configure.bat if it detects the broken compiler
>   version.
>
> * Change the Makefile to simply not use optimization by default.  This
>   is suboptimal, but would not be a big problem for Wget in practice
>   -- the person creating the binaries would use optimization in his
>   build, which means most people would still have access to an
>   optimized Wget.

i don't really like these two options and i don't think they're necessary when
there is a freely downloadable microsoft compiler which works perfectly for
us.

> > Not yet, but I will certainly.  Nevertheless, I think the point is
> > the "continue to support existing installation if possble" issue,
> > after all VC6 is not free either, and at least one newer commercial
> > VC version has been reported to compile without problems. Those,
> > however, certainly don't support Win95, probably don't Win98/ME
> > or/and NT4 either (didn't yet check though).
>
> You mean that you cannot use later versions of C++ to produce
> Win95/Win98/NT4 binaries?  I'd be very surprised if that were the
> case!

yes, this would be very weird.

> > Personally I feel wget should try to still support that not-so-old
> > compiler platform if possible,
>
> Sure, but in this case some of the burden falls on the user of the
> obsolete platform: he has to turn off optimization to avoid a bug in
> his compiler.  That is not entirely unacceptable.

i totally agree with hrvoje here. in the worst case, we can add an entry in
the FAQ explaining how to compile wget with those buggy versions of microsoft
cc.

--
Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem...

Mauro Tortonesi

University of Ferrara - Dept. of Eng.    http://www.ing.unife.it
Institute of Human & Machine Cognition   http://www.ihmc.us
Deep Space 6 - IPv6 for Linux            http://www.deepspace6.net