On 4/12/12 6:31 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
It's a similar situation, yes.  But in this case I don't see why you'd
need an IDL annotation of any sort at all.  If you want the behavior to
be the same, just don't define onscroll on Bar at all and define the one
on Foo to special case the two Foo subclasses you care about here.  If
you don't want it to be the same, the IDL annotation doesn't help you.

I agree. But if you we really do need a separate namedItem (for bug 17201) on HTMLPropertiesCollection, then there is no harm in having it too, but I would have it not work on other HTMLCollection objects.

So I think my suggested solution for that bug is:

  * Have the definition of HTMLCollection.namedItem include a hook that
    other specifications can override for descendant classes like
    HTMLPropertiesCollection.

  * Do that overriding for HTMLPropertiesCollection.

  * Not define a distinct namedItem on HTMLPropertiesCollection.

I can see that if you did still include a namedItem on HTMLPropertiesCollection with its special behaviour, then you could save yourself effort by putting an extended attribute on HTMLCollection's one (which means "delegate to the subclass") but I don't think it's really necessary.

(I will put the above in the bug.)