Igor Vaynberg wrote:

Discussing on improvements is allways good. I think we could improve in the field of type safety, and model clarity. However, as far as I can see, this is hard/ impossible to do without either losing flexibility (e.g. being able to use property models directly) or ending up with a lot of semi duplicate models (like a property model for the normal IModels, and a property model for ListView models). I might have overlooked something though...

Once again, I don't understand the flexibility issue. We were not talking
about replacing the imodel interface, but the list interface, both
approaches can be wrapped in an imodel. What flexibility do you lose?

Actually, I was. Having such a nested specific interface nested would maybe solve one problem - the problem that in some cases List isn't the ideal interface for ListView - but I see more issues here. As one user said last week, it wasn't immediately clear to him that ListView's models need to return List instances. He found out not until runtime testing it. This is where I could see space for improvement: by having a special purpose model (e.g. like I proposed, but combined with your suggestion it wouldn't force/ return a list but another interface, or it would just /be/ that interface) we would enhance type safety. We could prevent users from using models that return wrong kinds of objects. We can't prevent that now until runtime. On top of that, there was the discussion about whether ListView and the List interface were good matches.

Sorry if I didn't express myself too well,

Eelco

Igor