> >Once again, I don't understand the flexibility issue. We were not
> >talking about replacing the imodel interface, but the list
> interface,
> >both approaches can be wrapped in an imodel. What
> flexibility do you lose?
> >

> Actually, I was. Having such a nested specific interface
> nested would maybe solve one problem - the problem that in
> some cases List isn't the ideal interface for ListView - but
> I see more issues here. As one user said last week, it wasn't
> immediately clear to him that ListView's models need to
> return List instances. He found out not until runtime testing
> it. This is where I could see space for improvement: by
> having a special purpose model (e.g. like I proposed, but
> combined with your suggestion it wouldn't force/ return a
> list but another interface, or it would just /be/ that
> interface) we would enhance type safety. We could prevent
> users from using models that return wrong kinds of objects.
> We can't prevent that now until runtime. On top of that,
> there was the discussion about whether ListView and the List
> interface were good matches.

I also do not think forcing a specific model interface onto a component at
such a high level is a good idea. You cannot do all the type checking at
compile time, at some point the programmer needs to know what they are
doing. What I was trying to achieve is a better low level interface that
makes it much easier to provide your own implementation if the default one
doesn't work for you.

Igor