From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Gili
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 1:55 PM
To: wicket-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Wicket-user] Standard for database integration? (Please!)

I think the first step towards a standard DB integration is to give more use-cases using something other than Hibernate. To date, I've touched upon Hibernate, Cayenne and now I am looking at db4o. It would be nice to know how far one can go with the wicket-contrib modules if something other than Hibernate is used. I haven't gotten that far yet so I can't tell you at this point...

Gili

Gwyn Evans wrote:

I tend to agree with Nathan, in that there does seem to be a lot of
odd parts dotted around... Maybe they all hook together,

but I suspect

that only if you know what you need can you pull the right bits
together...

Personally, I'm not familiar with Hibernate, so don't

really know what

I'm looking for, although I was able to pull together a
PageableListView app to display a table loaded via Hibernate a while
ago.  I'm limited to JDK 1.4, so can't use annotations (and thus the
later cd-app as a template).

I'm still not sure if I'm missing something here, as even

that simple

app required wicket-contrib-data, wicket-contrib-data-hibernate-3.0
and wicket-contrib-dataview...

What I'm personally missing is a generic (template) DB web-app, that
would run under JDK 1.4, that would provide CRUD functionality and a
pageable view...

Any thoughts/comments?

/Gwyn

What kind of integration do you want with the dataview? The

dataview is a

generic package and all you need to integrate it is to provide a
dataprovider:

protected static class UsersDataProvider implements IDataProvider {
              private UserDAO getUserDao() {
return

MyApplication.getInstance().getUserDao();

              }

              public Iterator iterator(int first, int count) {
                      return getUserDao().find(first, count);
              }

              public int size() {
                      return getUserDao().count();
              }

              public IModel model(Object object) {
return new

DetachableUserModel((User)object);

              }
      };

Getting a hold of a sessionfactory is also very easy

especially when you are

dealing with spring
// create your application subclass inside spring
Class MyApplication extends WebApplication {
      private SessionFactory sf;

      public void setSessionFactory(SessionFactory sf) {
              this.sf=sf;
      }

      public SessionFactory getSessionFactory() {
              return sf;
      }

      public static MyApplication getInstance() {
              return (MyApplication)Application.get();

Then anywhere in your code:

MyAPplication.getInstance().getSessionFactory();

I personally think these things are pretty trivial and I

don't see a need

for a stand alone project. Maybe an example is all we need.

-Igor