I'll add another note to this "article view" discussion:

I have parsed the hourly, per-page statistics at
[http://dammit.lt/wikistats/]. If one assumes uniform intra-hour
distributions, this makes it possible to arrive at highly accurate view
estimates for arbitrary pages, for arbitrary time intervals.

I have found this useful to measure how many people saw a particular
revision and used this heavily in my anti-vandalism research.

I believe this is the same data source all these other services are
using -- but I don't do any aggregation. I've got data for all of 2010
for en.wiki (some 400+GB). I'd imagine this volume of parsing and
storage isn't something all Wiki researchers are capable of.

So, while I'm yet to develop this into a formal public-facing API -- I'd
be willing to run queries for interested researchers -- and they should
feel free to contact me.

Thanks, -Andrew G. West

On 01/25/2011 04:22 PM, Carlos d'Andréa wrote:
> Hi, Felipe,
>
> these tools are really useful!
>
> I like much the "Wikipedia Page History Statistics" too:
> http://vs.aka-online.de/cgi-bin/wppagehiststat.pl
>
> Here in Brazil I've developed (with a computer science student) a tool
> that extracs other interesting data from pages history, like number of
> protections and duration of time of each, number of revertions and
> editions undone, number anda percentage of editions made by
> administrators, bots and IP etc.
>
> Unfortunately it works only in portuguese Wikipedia, but we are very
> interessed in open the code e make it better.
>
> BTW, as it's my first mensage here, let me present myself: I'm
> journalist, teacher in Federal University of Viçosa and PHD student in
> Applied Linguistics in Minas Gerais Federal University. In summary, I'm
> studing the editorial process of "Biographies of living persons" in
> portuguese Wikipedia.
>
> Best,
>
> --
> Carlos d'Andréa
> carlosdand.com <http://carlosdand.com>
> novasm.blogspot.com <http://novasm.blogspot.com>
>

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Felipe Ortega <glimmer_phoe...@yahoo.es
> <mailto:glimmer_phoe...@yahoo.es>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all.
>
>     I just discovered this, it may be potentially interesting for the
>     Wikipedia
>     research community.
>
>     In short, now for any Wikipedia page, not only articles, e.g.
>
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_free_and_open_source_software
>
>     You can access, from the corresponding "View history" page:
>
>     * Nice stats (via soxred93 tool in Toolserver) :
>
> http://toolserver.org/~soxred93/articleinfo/index.php?article=History_of_Free_Software
>
> <http://toolserver.org/%7Esoxred93/articleinfo/index.php?article=History_of_Free_Software>〈=en&wiki=wikipedia
>

>     * Ranked contributors (Daniel's tool in Toolserver):
>
> http://toolserver.org/~daniel/WikiSense/Contributors.php?wikilang=en&wikifam=.wikipedia.org&grouped=on&page=History_of_Free_Software
>
> <http://toolserver.org/%7Edaniel/WikiSense/Contributors.php?wikilang=en&wikifam=.wikipedia.org&grouped=on&page=History_of_Free_Software>
>

>     * Revision history search (WikiBlame):
>
> http://wikipedia.ramselehof.de/wikiblame.php?lang=en&article=History_of_Free_Software
>
> <http://wikipedia.ramselehof.de/wikiblame.php?lang=en&article=History_of_Free_Software>
>

>     * Page view statistics:
>     http://stats.grok.se/en/201101/History_of_Free_Software
>
>     And... incredible:
>
>     * Number of watchers (!!!) (mzmcbride tool in Toolserver):
>
> http://toolserver.org/~mzmcbride/cgi-bin/watcher.py?db=enwiki_p&titles=History_of_Free_Software
>
> <http://toolserver.org/%7Emzmcbride/cgi-bin/watcher.py?db=enwiki_p&titles=History_of_Free_Software>
>

>     I don't know when (exactly) these services were activated.
>
>     I've also found some (still inactive) "API" links. Anybody has any
>     further info
> [...]

Andrew G. West, Doctoral Student
Dept. of Computer and Information Science
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia PA
Phone:   (304)-415-5824
Email:   west...@cis.upenn.edu
Website: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~westand