Somehow I lost this thread - this is great, Finn, I agree that a
shared bibliographic resource need not be restricted to conferences,
journals, etc, although specific meta-reviews might be.

The main obstacle for this problem of reviewing WP lit seems to be
agreeing on a common method for assembling our disparate efforts into
something bigger. In another thread I echoed Reid's ideas about using
a wiki to accomplish this, a mediawiki instance would be ideal.

Andrea

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Finn Aarup Nielsen <f...@imm.dtu.dk> wrote:

>> 1. Create a public Mediawiki instance.
>> 2. Decide on a relatively standardized format of reviewing each paper
>> (metadata formats, an infobox, how to write reviews of each, etc.)
>> 3. Upload your existing Zotero database into this new wiki (I would be
>> happy to write a script to do this).
>> 4. Proceed with paper readings, with the goal that every single paper is
>> looked at by human eyes.
>> 5. Use this content to produce one or more review articles.
>
> There has been some talk of a wiki for papers - also on this list as far
> as I remember. There is Bibdex (http://www.bibdex.com/), AcaWiki
> (http://acawiki.org) and I have the "Brede Wiki"
> (http://neuro.imm.dtu.dk/wiki/). The AcaWiki use Semantic Mediawiki
> (AFAIK) and I use MediaWiki templates. You can see an example here:
>
> http://neuro.imm.dtu.dk/wiki/Putting_Wikipedia_to_the_test:_a_case_study
>
> There is an infobox with citation information and sections on "related
> studies" and "critique".
>
> It is a question though whether such more general targeted wikis are
> appropriate for composing a collaborative paper.
>

> I have also begun a small Wikipedia review that I upload to our server
> yesterday:
>
> http://www2.imm.dtu.dk/pubdb/views/edoc_download.php/6012/pdf/imm6012.pdf
>
> I think I will never be able to do an exhaustive review of all papers, but
> my idea was to give an overview of as many aspect as possible. I think
> that some research published outside journals and conferences are
> interesting, e.g., surveys and some of the statistics performed by Erik
> Zachte. I don't think that Pew's survey has be peer-reviewed, so "just"
> including journal and conference papers is in my opinion not quite
> enough to give a complete picture.
>

> /Finn

>          Finn Aarup Nielsen, DTU Informatics, Denmark
>  Lundbeck Foundation Center for Integrated Molecular Brain Imaging
>    http://www.imm.dtu.dk/~fn/      http://nru.dk/staff/fnielsen/

 :: Andrea Forte
 :: Assistant Professor
 :: College of Information Science and Technology, Drexel University
 :: http://www.andreaforte.net