On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Richard Jensen <rjen...@uic.edu> wrote:
> Sadly I think this discussion demonstrates some hostility toward academe.

There's certainly a reflex against the Appeal to Expertise. But on
balance I would say Wikimedians have an appreciation and enthusiasm
for academia.  (many active contributors have connections there, as
students, grad students, profs or researchers.)

> My own thinking is currently along two lines:
>
> a) set up a highly visible Wiki prsence at scholarly conventions (in
> multiple disciplines) with 1) Wiki people at booths to explain the secrets
> of Wikipedia to interested academics and 2) hands-on workshops to show
> professors how to integrate student projects into their classes.
>
> b) run a training program for experienced Wiki editors at a major research
> library... provide access to sources... Bring in historians covering main
> historiographical themes. I think this could help hundreds of editors
> find new topics, methods and sources

These are both great ideas.

I believe something like a) has happened at a few universities, if not
at scholarly conventions.  Conventions might reach a cross-section of
hundreds of institutions at once.
And something like b) has happened at various libraries. There has
been interest in doing that in Boston with focus on a particular field
or type of special collection.

Sam.