Hi Piotr, hi all,

Piotr, I like your idea about instituting awards because awards may help
younger researchers in particular to
try something new that their bosses are not likely to have tried out by
themselves, e.g. contributing
scientific or otherwise research-related stuff to Wikipedia

in my opinion, any idea that helps academics accept open science more
wholeheartedly will in the long run
benefit Wikipedia and the wikification of scientific publishing

On Wed, 23 May 2012 17:48:27 -0400, Piotr Konieczny wrote
[...]
> If we want to encourage cooperation between academia and Wikipedia, we
> have to make it worthwhile for academics to contribute to Wikipedia -
> worthwhile in terms of their careers. One of the ways to do so would be
> to have professional organizations for our respective professions
> institute an award for popularization of the respective discipline on
> Wikipedia.

let me illustrate this by an example: two words in your post ("for our
respective professions" and "award")
made me think I might point you to a contest for a scientific award that is
currently running, until 31 May
which is hosted by an open access journal in Leukemia research et al. (Cellular
Therapy and Transplantation,
http://www.ctt-journal.com)

the contest's first phase was run in a discussion forum on the journal's site
with a subsequent traditional
upload of papers to be reviewed by a Jury (whose names were publicized in
advance), with the best six
papers to be published in that journal afterwards

phase II of the contest is run in a blog, with the blog comments being
potentially rewardable (by a prize in
money, by votes etc.) and each comment getting its own doi
http://maximowaward.wordpress.com/2012/05/10/blog-comment-contest-10-31-may-12-scientific-
terminology/

the organizers think that such a contest is likely to be the first step for
researchers in this field to use Web
2.0 for scientiific purposes and in an open science frame.

the next step would be to invite potential authors of this journal to
contribute articles in the format of Topic
Pages that could easily be "wikified" (thanks to Daniel's initiative, see e.g.
his recent mail
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wiki-research-l/2012-May/002124.html)

Q: does anyone know of similar initiatives in medicine or other fields that
might help speed up some kind of
habit change and maybe enhance new practices among researchers that get them
closer to Wikipedia? or
maybe of some specific criticism of any award in this regard?

thanks & cheers,
Claudia
koltzenb...@w4w.net