I think we might be missing the point here of the original request. I am a
native fluent speaker of English and I have 4 university degrees. I don't need
Simple English Wikipedia, but there are definitiely articles on English
Wikipedia that I cannot read because they are not sufficiently introductory in
terms of content. For example

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleotide

loses me pretty quickly as I have not studied biochemistry for some number of
decades so I don't really understand/remember the terms in which nucleotides
are defined within the article. But I don't think we need to have a technical
solution. We probably need some simpler introductions to some topics, either
within one article or as two separate articles, e.g.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_genetics

Perhaps we need some navboxes that provide a sequence for reading through a
number of articles in some sensible sequence to learn about a larger topic.

I think we have plenty of solutions with the tools at hand. I think we just
need to identify the problematic articles and hope someone with the right
expertise is willing to write the simple introduction or suggest a sequence of
articles to be read or whatever is deemed to be the best way to cope with
readers coming to the topic with a range of prior knowledge.

Kerry