On 03/12/2019 23:04, Dariusz Jemielniak wrote:

Besides a shameless self-promo, I'm also genuinely curious what your experience
with persuading people in Academia that what you do is legit is.

Thanks for the piece Dariusz,
To your (legitimate) argument abour Wikipedia as challenging the academic authority, I'd add the reciprocical distrust between both worlds. It's in fact a difficult sociological position being a wikipedian in academia AND an academic in wikipedia. The norms and practices may seem similar, but they are actually quite different. For example, you cannot import your medals (be it number of publications or number of edits) from one world to the other. Actually, you're more often than not told to chose your side. Hence, the difficulty to establish fruitful contacts. Of course, some succesful attemps do exist, but the general mood is still distrust.

Alexandre Hocquet
Archives Henri Poincaré & Science History Institute
alexandre.hocq...@univ-lorraine.fr
https://www.sciencehistory.org/profile/alexandre-hocquet
https://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet