Dear All,

I am also very interested in this topic. I am from academia, with computer
science background. In the last two years, I have spent most of my “free
research time” to understand the reasons, why Wikipedia has not become a
significant publication venue in science. I came to similar conclusions to
Kerry and Darius, especially in the context of the review system. There should
be a simple way to present how much content is verified. For example, through
the font color (and size) of each paragraph.

Involving more students to write Wikipedia articles is challenging; however, we
are not far from the future when machines will be able to “read” the scientific
publications, and automatically generate content (for Wikipedia) with
reasonable quality. I do not think the current review system is prepared for
this. Probably there is no simple solution, we also made several
game-theoretical analyses of this problem, and much more reviews should be
attracted.

Furthermore, I think there are some practical issues as well: for example,
researchers are not familiar with the markup language used in MediaWiki. Visual
editor partially solves this problem; however, a latex editor would make
Wikipedia way friendlier for a large group of researchers. The MediaWiki markup
and latex seems quite similar, so we started to implement a markup-latex
converter. We hope to release the code soon.

Best
János
http://lendulet.tmit.bme.hu/lendulet_website/?page_id=291