We are going very soon to look into the actual data. If my current
assumption holds, that more than 99% of all links are simple 1:1 links, the
requirement for a more complex system might be deferred to later.

If there is a big fraction of language links currently representing a more
intricate structure, we have to rethink that assumption. But until then, I
hope we can start with the simpler solution.

Cheers,
Denny

2012/4/3 Bináris <wikipo...@gmail.com>

> 2012/4/2 Markus Krötzsch <markus.kroetz...@cs.ox.ac.uk>
>

>> We should take care not to overrate this topic. There are hundreds of
>> thousands of articles that have a unique, exact match between different
>> language versions.
>
> Fortunately. But problems and surprises in informatics are always in the
> minority of cases. :-)
>

>> Cities,
>
> Settlements are drawn together and dissected all the time. Rome may be one
> city for one Wikipedia, separate ancient Rome and modern Rome for the other.
> The newest problem in huwiki is a small part of Budapest that has two
> articles, one for it as part of the modern city, and one for the historical
> standalone settlement (same place, same name). Some wikis sraw articles
> together for notability reasons, others dissect because of extent.
>

>> countries,
>
> These are really interesting! Can you tell what Germany is in the terms of
> history? Or just Prussia? Prussia is a country that's name leads to a
> disambiguation page in many wikis, and no warranty the standalone articles
> will match. Or what about Yugoslavia as a country? One wiki may think to
> write one article about countries by this name, while another will handle
> it in several articles.
>

>> works of art,
>
>  One wiki writes one article about Leonardo's paintings, the other one for
> each. This may be handled by linking to section titles, perhaps? While
> entities have a clear meaning, articles about them may not exactly match.
>

> astronomic objects,
>
> The same: one article about the moons of Uranus vs. one for each.
>
> Etc.
>

> --
> Bináris

Project director Wikidata
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Eisenacher Straße 2 | 10777 Berlin
Tel. +49-30-219 158 26-0 | http://wikimedia.de