On 29.01.2013 05:02, Hor Meng Yoong wrote:
> Dear Daniel:
>
>   Thank you for the insight.
>
>   I used MySQL a few years ago, I find that MySQL's features on triggers and
> stored procedures are restrictive. PostgreSQL is truly a better option.
>
>   The post here does not try to kick off a debate on MySQL vs PostgreSQL, I
> just
> want developers here to be aware of other good open source databases and make
> the code to be easily adapted to other databases.

Right. While I agree that PG is a great DB system, it's not what MediaWiki or
Wikibase are primarily developed on and for. In theory, MediaWiki has full PG
support, and we aim to also have that in Wikibase. But in practice, PG support
is frequently broken especially in alpha and beta versions (and remember: what
we run live on Wikipedia & Co is the alpha version; and for Wikibase, the alpha
version is the only version so far). So PG is probably not the best choice for
your Wikibase install.

-- daniel

--
Daniel Kinzler, Softwarearchitekt