To clarify my comments about unreviewed research projects: in the past I
came across a research project with which I felt there were privacy
concerns. Also, having projects reviewed by WMF Research and/or Wikidata
staff may help to maximize the effectiveness of the project, both for the
project managers and for the Wikimedia community. There isn't a policy that
research projects must be reviewed by WMF or WMDE before launch, but I
think it's a good idea, and Wikimedians should be particularly cautious
about participating in research projects which have not been reviewed.

I'm happy to have external researchers working with Wikimedia projects; I
want to see the research done well and in alignment with Wikimedia values.

Regards,

Pine