Hi all,

So at my university the undergraduate students must do a three-month work towards writing a final short thesis. Generally this work doesn't need to involve research but should result in a final demonstrable outcome, meaning a tool, application, something like that.

The students are in Computer Science and have taken various relevant courses including Semantic Web, Big Data, Data Mining, and so forth.

I was wondering if there was, for example, a list of possible topics internally within Wikidata ... topics that students could work on with some guidance here and there from a professor. (Not necessarily research-level topics, but also implementation or prototyping tasks, perhaps even regarding something more speculative, or "wouldn't it be nice if we could ..." style topics?)

If there is no such list, perhaps it might be a good idea to start thinking about one?

The students I talk with are very interested in doing tasks that could have real-world impact and I think in this setting, working on something relevant to the deployment of Wikidata would be a really great experience for them and hopefully also of benefit to Wikidata.

(And probably there are other professors in a similar context looking for interesting topics to assign students.)

Best,
Aidan