> I've just loaded the provided hdt file on a big machine (32 GiB wasn't
enough to build the index but ten times this is more than enough)

Could you please share a bit about your setup? Do you have a machine with 320GB
of RAM?
Could you please also try to convert wikidata.ttl to hdt using "rdf2hdt"? I'd
be interested to read your results on this too.
Thank you!

> I'll try to run a few queries to see how it behaves.

I don't think there is a command-line tool to parse SPARQL queries, so you
probably have to setup a Fuseki endpoint which uses HDT as a data source.