Leigh and others who may be interested,

Thanks for this reply. So what your saying is that Otago will give me
credit for a WikiEd course that is designed around the NZQA as long as
I give them money. Is it a graduate level course? Is Otago working
toward being able to complete WikiEd courses and get a graduate level
degree? Can I transfer this credit to another institution for my
graduate level degree? It would seem to me that what Otago is doing is
great, and a step in the right direction but it is still essentially
using WikiEd as a LMS (or part of their LMS for I still have to
complete assessment activities) and I still have to pay for the
credential... Please correct me if I have misunderstood... I'd change
your last statement to say "Learning and education is free, assessment
and credential still costs"

Anyhow, I want to dive deeper on this topic. I want to discuss if
people think it is possible to create an international accredited
institution that gave me a graduate level degree based on my
completion / creation of OER (and related published research)? Maybe
the international institution is a social network with a top quality
reputation. i.e. if your level of scholarship is recognized by this
"institution / social network" then it is considered the same as a PhD
from Athabasca University... lets call it Open Access Accreditation...
Isn't this the natural progression from connectionist (see siemens)
approaches?

It would seem that an institution like UNESCO or ICDE is where this
could start and with the writing coming from these institutions
regarding OER they (I believe) should be addressing the issue. I've
been reading papers from these institutions for a while and everything
still assumes the OER are utilized within existing institutions and
existing courses and existing programs and in the end you still have
to pay for assessment and the credential. In particular, the roadmap
from the OLCOS http://www.olcos.org/cms/upload/docs/olcos_roadmap.pdf
seems to be a deep dive into all this, yet they still assume loads of
affiliations and partnerships with existing Universities. Essentially
you still have to pay to get assessed and credentialed even though you
are using OER created by someone only loosely affiliated with the
university granting the credential. Why?

You could assume a PhD is the equivalent of 2-3 years of full-time
work, for easy math lets 5000 hours. Let's say I am prepared to work
16 hrs a week for 46 weeks a year for seven years (5152 hours total).
And during this time I create a solid amount (potentially a complete
Masters degree amount) of OER (with accompanying collaborative
research papers) on WikiEducator and Wikiversity. Shouldn't I be able
to take all this work and be given a PhD? Universities provide
honorary doctorates; why not use this same structure to offer a PhD to
someone who completes what I previously suggested? Or would the
reputation I created on WikiEducator and Wikiversity by
collaboratively creating a PhD effort equivalent in OER be the same as
having a PhD? In fact could this not be the new PhD? And in the end I
would have saved myself the 40k - 100k $ that I paid to an institution
for a credential (not including 5152 hrs of lost salary). And I could
do all this in a truly self directed manner without having to be
"supervised" by a tenured academic. When I know that most of my
supervision is going to come from the social network anyway...

Or maybe what I am asking is; what role does the graduate level
university play in a Connectivist world filled with quality OER, hard
work and an active social network?

Thanks for your time,

Peter