Peter,

There was a proposal somewhere in Wikied to collect the competency standards
that different countries where using and to load them to wikied and work
towards an international standard for as many as possible. I'd expect that,
with many skills based vocationally orientated stuff, this would be pretty
straight forward. These standards could serve as assessment guides for
industry and developing education sectors; they could serve as learning
objectives for people; and they could serve as online learning development
guides.

If Wikied was successful in bring together an international collection of
standards like these, they could present them to the likes of UNESCO and
say, "will you help us promote these as an international assessment
standards". If that was done, then institutions like Otago Polytechnic would
have a direct interest in assessing and awarding qualifications to these new
International standards. It would be likely that our courses would start
using both NZQA and UNESCO QA!

Eventually, UNESCO QA certificates and degrees might become more usable for
migrating workers. The worth of UNESCO QA Units would increase to the point
where many nations started recognising people with these certificates.
UNESCO would have to make sure that the standard of assessment was actually
being met, and could even accept individuals as qualified assessors..

It would then be very easy for Institutions and individuals to then develop
courses on Wikieducator around these standards, and also to offer assessment
and accreditation to people who complete these courses. People would be free
to do the courses at their own pace and self directed, gradually building a
learning portfolio of assignments and activity evidence (set in the
curriculum designs) that would be used for some sort of RPL process. Through
an international network of teachers and assessors, we might see the cost of
such processes and services greatly reduced!