On Mar 25, 2:05 pm, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Cormac, Leigh, Simon, Others...
>
> Thanks for the great feedback. I certainly hope some others jump in...
>
> Cormac,
>
> There is a body of work where the evaluation of a persons contribution
> is evaluated via software; it's not so advanced that it can target a
> single person and evaluate what they have done... probably one day
> (soon), see these two
> references;http://www.research.ibm.com/visual/projects/history_flow/http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~luca/papers/07/wikiwww2007.pdf

Ooo! I can't see it. But that's only because i never have. Evaluation
to me, and I've had to employ graduates to do media jobs, always comes
down to seeing of they, or their teachers, can do it. i.e. have
institutions prepared the inexperienced for it?. Old industries, no
problem. New industries, like the interactive media ones; rarely a
clue.

Let me give you an illustration of a change going back 30 years. Unis
were trying to "teach" AV production stuff. Many didn't have a
recording desk. Even fewer had relationships with bands or actors
interested in recording. Even if some students did, they wouldn't be
encouraged to bring those noisy long haired gits into a lovely clean
studio.

So one dirty engineer in Sydney started offering courses in his
studio, which now, though some unis in 49 countries, offers accredited
courses. http://www.sae.edu/. But it wasn't until the unis were
included in the Learning mix of enough working engineers that the
accreditations were given. Until then, we usually just gave students a
piece of paper, and for the more determined, helped them find them a
job. Now a three month course has inflated to three years.

The thing i find fascinating - when watching new interactive & global
media institutions, like Wikipedia, et al, get their Project Groups'
Learning ground(s) together and professionalize good habits, while at
the same time watching national Teaching institutions struggling to
think outside their squares - is that nothing seems to have changed.

In the professionals' web space, you see the beginnings of global
interactive environments, which are obviously self sustaining and
appear to help people meet peers, get their heads around the things a
good web designer needs to know and maybe get some (paid) experience.
http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/ And then you look at unis' web sites/
brochureware, ho! ho!  One obviously puts an emphasis on their
members' communications, the other on the institution's information.
i.e. communicating global GROUPS vs, National (.edu) NETWORKS.

As Cormac says, "you don't get a PhD, but you might be a damn sight
more eligible to get a job with a certain employer institution that is
open-minded enough to recognise this particular work done". I don't
think it's even a matter of them being open minded. It's more a matter
that in the commercial world, one gets paid for results, and if you
can point to something, like Liam can, who do you think will get the
job?.This is very new ground.

I also think Leigh is quite right. "Through an international network
of teachers and assessors, we might see the cost of
such processes and services greatly reduced!" But you have to have the
"international network" first, and all we do have at the moment is a
bunch of National .edu ones. Thankfully Web 2.0 Inc. are able to help
fill the obvious gaps. But you got this wrong. "Learning is still
free, education still costs". Nah, "accreditation still costs". You
know, priests used to sell indulgences. That's why the Reformation
(supposedly) started.

Perhaps, rather than talking about accreditation, we should be talking
about where the new jobs are, what skills are required and who's doing
the employing.