Thanks Peter, Leigh,

 Essentially
> you still have to pay to get assessed and credentialed even though you
> are using OER created by someone only loosely affiliated with the
> university granting the credential. Why?

 would the reputation I created on WikiEducator and Wikiversity by
> collaboratively creating a PhD effort equivalent in OER be the same as
> having a PhD?

> Or maybe what I am asking is; what role does the graduate level
> university play in a Connectivist world filled with quality OER, hard
> work and an active social network?

It IS the point isn't it? I'll use Liam, who 'runs' Wikipedia Weekly
as an example here.
No doubt the employers of his new role at the Dictionary of Sydney
were influenced by the proof that he can get stuff done. They just
have to look. Most of DoS board are academics who are old enough to
feel out on a limb, and thankful for the proved expertise.
http://www.dictionaryofsydney.org/www/html/51-project-teams.asp

Now i'm not saying this approach is going to replace ALL the old
bricks and mortar credentials. But so far as the new
(Interactive)media  industries are concerned (and this IS the growth
area in employment); how much proof do you want that their credentials
are passe/irrelevant? The aim of an .edu is simply to pass on
expertise isn't it? They (simply) can't.

The assumption = " they still assume loads of affiliations and
partnerships with existing Universities"= makes the point. If you
could see the number of Memorandums of Understanding I've seen signed
over the past years and the lack of anything tangible coming from
them... well, "samo, samo".

I'm taking it that terrya is a playmate of yours Peter, so I've said
my piece on his terrific paper.
http://terrya.edublogs.org/2008/03/17/networks-versus-groups-in-higher-education/#comment-1433

But until we see consortia like the Open CourseWare consortia start
focussing on the communications of groups that stand between their
institutional members, I guess we'll just have to put up with the
"Successful disaster", which they've created..
http://ochre.wordpress.com/2008/03/14/pittsburgh-fortune-cookies/#comment-1008

PS Anyone interested in hosting a wikieducator forum over at Wikback?
http://wikback.com/forums/

In fact could this not be the new PhD? And in the end I