Hi Sanjaya ---

I'm keen to hear your thoughts how/why you think a start system will
help WE achieve its aims?

Do you see a star system as a mechanism to motivate WikiEducators?  or
Is this a mechanism to express a collective view on the quality of a
resource?

Interestingly -- we host our main list on Google Groups which has a star
rating system for posts -- but I've noticed that its not widely used by
the community.

That said, I'm sure that there are innovative ways in which a star
system could be implemented through a smart template solution.  My
personal view is that any system that attempts to make any kind of value
judgement on popularity and/or quality must be community driven. I'm
also wondering about the impact a start system might have on newbies in
the community.

Lets say I'm a new teacher grappling with the wiki syntax, structure,
pedagogy etc -- and someone comes along and gives me a poor rating.
Would that motivate me to do better or discourage me from continuing.
That said, I do think we can learn from the community incentives in the
WMF projects. For example, Wikipedia have a featured article system
where the community nominate articles for the status of a feature
article.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Featured_articles

There is a rigorous process regarding the criteria for featured articles
as well as community discussion on whether a nomination will qualify.
Once an article has attained the status of featured article -- as star
is inserted on the page.

Perhaps we should think about an equivalent or similar process in WE?  I
guess the place to start would be to think about the criteria we would
use.

On the quality issue -- I've been doing a little thinking about the
appropriateness of implementing the Flagged Revisions extension. See:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:FlaggedRevisions

Its a pretty sophisticated tool where assigned reviewers take
responsibility for expressing a value judgement on predefined criteria.
What I like about the system is that the page view can be set to display
the latest reviewed version -- without restricting the ability to draft
edit and add value to existing materials.

Perhaps this is something we should think about.