Geez wayne,

Seems like you have to do all the outreach. I would have thought if
Carina wants people to get involved she's a big enough girl to issue
her own invitations. (wink, nudge) I looked at the page; quite good,
until i read the definition of distance education, and compared it to
the one which has been so hard fought for over the years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance_education

The difference really does explain why Aussie institutions are in
"delivery from a campus teacher to a remote learner" mode. They just
can't get into the "user centric" mode. That said, there are a few
progressives who simply sigh at the "practice follows policy" mindset
and get on with opening things up. E.g. http://peoples-uni.org (Dick
Heller is still at newcastle uni). Check out "the roles".

If we must think/research in terms of OER "courseware", that's fine.
But please, Oz policy makers are soooo far out of the global loop
here. Even Kate (who is one my heroines).
http://www.katelundy.com.au/2011/03/02/citizen-centric-services-a-necessary-principle-for-achieving-genuine-open-government/

Just so we are clear, this is what I mean by user centric
https://me.edu.au/login.htm
And these are the kind of services to which "my account" would offer
access.  http://www.aaf.edu.au/technical/common-services/ And
increasingly, a few others like
http://www.aarnet.edu.au/Projects/2010/05/12/aarnet-anywhere.aspx

Sorry for being my subtle self. I just realized why WE/WR/OCWC/OER
communities have missed so many of the happenings on their individual
(NREN) networks. There's a place for educators, learners and
researchers on the WR logo. But no place for developers. In the
network/developers world, no one is "an educator". Most of the
technical problems (in creating interoperable (virtual) networks,
which can support global disciplinary groups) are about creating/
agreeing common standards and using common tools/apps, AND a common
classification scheme. DuH!

So could we ask meena to link from her global forum to the the
research wikieducator group.
http://communities.ocwconsortium.org/groups/ocwoer-research/
Or vice versa. And perhaps on a better app than google's "groups"
widget.

There are quite a few things stirring in Europe.
The talk starts here.
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/collectiveawareness/index_en.htm
But they gain a focus here.
http://seacoop.eu/2011/05/23/opportunity-for-cooperation-in-virtual-learning-project-elearning/
What are you like at scoping a (R AND D) project for funding? Deadline
september.
All the best, simon

We live in interesting times.