Simon,

Sure Carina has the freedom to post on our lists. However, she had the
courtesy to ask whether it was OK to request participation for the OER study
rather than spamming our community lists with unrelated requests. I figured
that given the OER focus -- it was a reasonable and fair request and posted
the message to our lists as she requested.

I think you are being a tad hard on the Ausie history and leadership in
distance education. Australia pioneered the dual-mode model of distance
education before anyone else around the world. Moreover, it is Australia
(along side New Zealand, the US and Canada) who are pioneering the OER
university network when measured by the anchor partners joining the
initiative.

The peoples uni is an innovative and inspiring project in health education.
To be fair, by their own admission they say that "peoples-uni is not a
university and makes no claims to be a
university<http://peoples-uni.org/book/accreditation-uk-royal-society-public-health>".
I'm very supportive of the peoples-uni work and mission - and would not be
part of the international advisory
group<http://peoples-uni.org/book/international-advisory-group>if I
weren't. The OER ecosystem requires multiple nodes including the
contributions of the formal university sector in providing credible
credentials based solely on OER.

I don't buy the argument that universities are not user centric -- sure
there is much room for improvement but over the last decade there has been a
strong emphasis on learner-centric pedagogy. Moreover, I don't buy into your
supposition that we have ignored the NRENs. Certainly, from my desk, I have
been proactive in trying to engage NRENS into the larger OER ecosystem.
Sadly, to date, the NRENS, I have approached are less receptive to the free
culture agenda and making a substantive commitment to free cultural works
approved policies and practices. So I choose to use my time where it is most
productive rather than arguing with NRENs who choose to remain closed and
prefer non-free technologies.

Sure -- I'm always willing and open to consider enagement in open research
funding proposals if they contribute to the strategic objectives of what we
are aiming to achieve. My minimum requirement for participation in any
collaborative funding proposal is that the proposal is developed
transparently as free content. Set up a wiki page and start developing the
proposal - -then we can all evaluate whether or not to engage.

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 3:09 PM, simonfj <simo...@cols.com.au> wrote:

> Geez wayne,
>
> Seems like you have to do all the outreach. I would have thought if
> Carina wants people to get involved she's a big enough girl to issue
> her own invitations. (wink, nudge) I looked at the page; quite good,
> until i read the definition of distance education, and compared it to
> the one which has been so hard fought for over the years.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance_education
>
> The difference really does explain why Aussie institutions are in
> "delivery from a campus teacher to a remote learner" mode. They just
> can't get into the "user centric" mode. That said, there are a few
> progressives who simply sigh at the "practice follows policy" mindset
> and get on with opening things up. E.g. http://peoples-uni.org (Dick
> Heller is still at newcastle uni). Check out "the roles".
>
> If we must think/research in terms of OER "courseware", that's fine.
> But please, Oz policy makers are soooo far out of the global loop
> here. Even Kate (who is one my heroines).
>
> http://www.katelundy.com.au/2011/03/02/citizen-centric-services-a-necessary-principle-for-achieving-genuine-open-government/
>
> Just so we are clear, this is what I mean by user centric
> https://me.edu.au/login.htm
> And these are the kind of services to which "my account" would offer
> access.  http://www.aaf.edu.au/technical/common-services/ And
> increasingly, a few others like
> http://www.aarnet.edu.au/Projects/2010/05/12/aarnet-anywhere.aspx
>
> Sorry for being my subtle self. I just realized why WE/WR/OCWC/OER
> communities have missed so many of the happenings on their individual
> (NREN) networks. There's a place for educators, learners and
> researchers on the WR logo. But no place for developers. In the
> network/developers world, no one is "an educator". Most of the
> technical problems (in creating interoperable (virtual) networks,
> which can support global disciplinary groups) are about creating/
> agreeing common standards and using common tools/apps, AND a common
> classification scheme. DuH!
>
> So could we ask meena to link from her global forum to the the
> research wikieducator group.
> http://communities.ocwconsortium.org/groups/ocwoer-research/
> Or vice versa. And perhaps on a better app than google's "groups"
> widget.
>
> There are quite a few things stirring in Europe.
> The talk starts here.
> http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/collectiveawareness/index_en.htm
> But they gain a focus here.
>
> http://seacoop.eu/2011/05/23/opportunity-for-cooperation-in-virtual-learning-project-elearning/
> What are you like at scoping a (R AND D) project for funding? Deadline
> september.
> All the best, simon
>
> We live in interesting times.

Wayne Mackintosh <http://wikieducator.org/User:Mackiwg>, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation <http://www.oerfoundation.org>
Director, International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Founder and elected Community Council Member,
WikiEducator<http://www.wikieducator.org>
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter <http://twitter.com/#%21/Mackiwg> |