On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 5:32 PM, simonfj <simo...@cols.com.au> wrote:

> That's good.
>
> We have these expectations created by the web, and the institutionlized
> users of public institutions haven't a clue of how to have a discussion with
> their ISP = NREN. And vice versa. All these high priests/human firewalls in
> the way.

I'm not sure that your generalisation is necessarily true, or whether
it really matters.  In our case, the OER Foundation has achieved the
critical mass of institutions who will provide free learning opportunities
to all students worldwide, with pathways to achieve credible credentials.
 These OER learners will be able to seek accreditation in Africa,
North America and Oceania - -and the list is growing. We achieved this
without needing to speak to any ISP or NREN.

If NRENs are the solution for the future -- they should get their act into
gear and figure how they are going to help and support the OERu network.  We
don't have many human firewalls in our rather small network.

Individuals who want to be firewalls when they grow up -- are free to do so.
We're moving forward in providing credible credentials based on OER
learning.

Exciting times ...

Wayne Mackintosh <http://wikieducator.org/User:Mackiwg>, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation <http://www.oerfoundation.org>
Director, International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Founder and elected Community Council Member,
WikiEducator<http://www.wikieducator.org>
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter <http://twitter.com/#%21/Mackiwg> |