Thanks Steve,

I'm glad you changed the header of this one as it's THE most important
discussion WE can have.
This belief of being able to change a fundamentally flawed (education)
system by competition is possibly the thing which retains the status quo.
Your logic is that "user pays" so a better educational institution enables
users to change the flawed system by voting with their feet.

Students don't have money, so can't pay, so they can't fix the flaws (or
corruptions in the case of much of the developing world. E.g. A  teaching
job at a high school in Thailand costs around 100,000 baht if you don't have
teaching credentials. (according to my informed source here).

If you use the Greek experience, where public jobs are guaranteed by the
constitution, you'd understand why they're now reducing retired teachers'
pensions by 30%. The same lesson is coming for the rest of the world next
year. Unis, as the bastions of Research and (H)Education can now be seen to
be another bureaucractic arm of governments, who have short term
committments. So I'd argue that it's not that one country's (H)E system is
fundamentally flawed, it's that they all are to some degree. (excuse the
pun)

I'll use the OEF Logic Model as an illustration. The model points to
"credentials" as the system's output. Logically, if the system worked
correctly, these credentials would be attuned to prepare a student for a job
(leaving out any appreciation of aethestics which they might gain). These
days they, to an rapidly increasing degree, don't. I'm monitoring the
unemployment stats of graduates; Spain, where it's close to 50%, appears to
lead this down hill race. But you can see the rampant credentialism in most
parts of the world. E.g. a Masters for a call centre operator in Bangalore,
a PhD for their manager. You might know the number of grads at Starbucks.

I think you, Jim and your progressive global peers have a fundamental role
to play in all of this. Primarily as you have the technical knowledge and
artistic appreciation (interface design) AND drive to understand what might
be possible if the "fire-wall" didn't stop at the institutional ones. You
only have to look at Internet2's communities to see the push going on, and
questions like this being asked.  https://blogs.internet2.edu/archives/123

I know that there is really no such thing as an Institutional "human
firewall". I joked to my friend (from an NREN) who said it, "bit like you
and the other National firewalls, eh?". The term is "gatekeepers" in the
librarians' communities. It's a prob handling this paradigm shift. Everyone
has to take a step up. Institutional>National>International, while still
retaining their sense of community/identity.

Thanks goodness WE have that. All the best, si.