Keegan Paul<kgnp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 1:05 PM, <wjhon...@aol.com> wrote:
>>  I don't however see the
>> whole mountainish molehill if there is only one link at the top.

> From what I'm understanding and agree with, the molehill is not the issue
> over disambig pages.  The initial issue is that someone looking up plankton
> would have seen a "See also Spongebob" link.  The perception by people
> looking up plankton will be to already question the validity of the
> editorial content if Spongebob is the first thing they see.  Correct me if
> I'm wrong about this being the initial issue, Carcharoth.

Right. Its not about the number of clicks, or even the presence of
alternative linkages - its about the odd and irritating addition of
links to trivial topics at the top of substantive articles (hence the
term "trivial disambiguation" or "trivial otheruses links").

>From the wiki point of view, presenting information upfront is quite
common sense, and this is why in the past we often had four-item
disambiguations at the top of articles - people kept exploiting this
"presentation of information" concept to push for making their own
interests prominent in non-trivial articles.

>From the encyclopedic point of view, its necessary to make at least a
basic qualitative distinction between trivial and substantive
articles, so that while there may be a link to Ubermensch on Superman,
there won't be one to the latter on the former. (Dunno how it's set up
now).

Taking things one step further (as I like to do), it might make sense
to deprecate even the usage of cross-topic otheruses hatnotes among
substantive articles. Does it make sense to mention a history topic on
the top of a biology article?

Anyway, the current beef I have with {{otheruses}} tags is that they
don't format well, when doubled (tripled or more) up - something
solved if we could get rid of the carriage returns and whitespace
between them.

-Stevertigo