Hi Sam,

El 29/05/2014 10:18 p.m., Sam Klein escribió:
Thanks, Bence and Greg.  I appreciate all of the thought going into this.
Can you describe the groups that might have been problematic as UGs?
I think both becoming and stopping to be a UG should be a simple process.

It looks like the main steps are

a) appointing a liaison
b) having some standard questions answered (presumably not many)
c) drafting / approving a resolution (presumably always the same language)

with an optional step of
d) reviewing bylaws

Nathan's idea is a good one.  LangCom does something like this for
handling some of their requests - any member can resolve the matter,
informs the committee, and the committee has the option (basically
never exercised) to override over the next few days.

Here's a possible alternate process, for instance:

0) Have a set of standard Meta-form that is filled out in order to
apply. Applicants can answer them without any discussion or liaison.

1) Any group answering those questions becomes a provisional user group.
By sending an e-mail, any group becomes an affiliate-to-be :)

2) Any AffCom member can review the answers from 0, thereby becoming
the liaison.  They can approve the group, recommend it for further
review, or reject it as incomplete.

We generally rotate who takes care of the next incoming request, in order to balance the workload among all members. We don't want one member handling 7 applications at the same time, when there is one with just one (unless the case becomes extremely thorny), right?

3.1) If further review is needed, this can take an extra week for
discussion by the committee.

We try as much as possible to shorten the discussion phase, but it is important to gather any concerns that may arise. Sometimes I can see an application as ready-to-go, but then you see something that I missed, and which is indeed worth analyzing further.

3.2) If no further review is needed, the committee is informed of the
result (approve or reject) and the reviewer.  This can be done in
batches: if many user groups are created on a single day, a single
email update can note how each group was reviewed, and by whom.
As far as I remember, we have not received more than three applications on a same day.

3.3) At the same time, the group can ask any questions it has of its
liaison.
They do :)
This would make the process as simple as filling out a form, which was
the original goal.  I know that we currently require separately 4)
signing a agreement with the WMF, but I believe this could be
simplified in the future, to automatically grant certain trademark
uses to groups that have been approved.

I don't think this can be done in those originally expected 15 minutes :-)

Please remember this is all in an ideal situation, as Bence put it correctly, and that much of the time between each one of the steps taken can vary depending on how fast the affiliates-to-be respond, the time the volunteer making part of the AffCom takes, and so on. Again, we always try to shorten it as much as possible.

A bylaws review does not need to be part of the UG recognition
process, as far as I can see.  AffCom can separately engage groups to
help them in their development, including such aspects of governance.

Having bylaws is not mandatory for UGs as they do not need to incoporate. However, if they plan to do so upon recognition, it is worth reviewing them. Also, in some geographic jurisdictions, they need to incorporate, so that should be done in parallel in those cases.
Regards,
Sam