On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Bence Damokos <bdamo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, somewhat unfortunately in my view, there is a requirement for user
> groups is to have a "history of projects", which was not further defined
> but in theory makes it impossible to form a user group before there has
> been a "history".

I see, thank you for explaining.  I believe this refers to the language in
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Recognizing_Models_of_Affiliations

Would it be more helpful if the clause you mention were changed to
read "an established contact person and a wikipage describing the
group's activity"?  I believe that is equally representative of the
thinking behind the resolution.

If the the Board can remedy unfortunate wording that is slowing things
down, I will propose a change right away.

> In any case, the more automation and simplification we can introduce into
> the process, the better.

Agreed.  :)

Greg writes:
> Bence describes it a bit more, but basically a request comes in, someone is
> assigned it, we ask them some questions, if that person feels okay or
> doesn't have questions, they send the info to the group, post a resolution,
> and we vote.

If the process can't be done in a single pass, it's probably too complicated.

Compare the process of forming a Meetup group.  There are basic
standards of behavior and usage -- applied via review after the fact,
soft-security style -- and measures of activity.  But as soon as you
finish filling out a form describing your group, it has been created +
is visible online + has its events included in a global calendar, and
starts to get updates and support.

Sam