As the Quartz article from Jens's email discusses, the decision in Chile is
very unfortunate.[1] It's an example of when net neutrality — which is an
important principle for the free and open internet — is poorly implemented
to prevent free dissemination of knowledge. Although Wikipedia Zero is not
yet available in Chile, it is a country of interest for the program, so we
are thinking about what options are available in light of this decision.

That said, I would like to clarify a couple of points about the
implementation of Wikipedia Zero that were raised in this thread:

1. The newer Wikipedia Zero partnerships have provided the full Wikipedia
sites (m.wikipedia) free of data charges for some time now and we are
phasing out the reduced version (zero.wikipedia) from the older
partnerships.

2. While earlier Wikipedia Zero partnerships only zero-rated Wikipedia, we
are working on getting carriers to zero-rate all the Wikimedia projects.

3. We are also working on getting editing functions zero-rated, though
there are some technical hurdles for that right now. But, eventually,
Wikipedia Zero will not only make knowledge more accessible, but also
empower more people in the Global South to contribute to the projects.

4. Finally, WMF does *not* pay carriers to zero-rate Wikipedia under
Wikipedia Zero. Carriers zero-rate the sites because they want to make a
commitment to access to knowledge as a corporate social responsibility.[2]
I believe this question has already been answered in this thread since
Scott raised it earlier, but I just wanted to confirm that Wikipedia Zero
does not involve payments.

Hope this is helpful!

Best,
Yana

[1]
http://qz.com/215064/when-net-neutrality-backfires-chile-just-killed-free-access-to-wikipedia-and-facebook/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_social_responsibility

--
Yana Welinder
Legal Counsel

NOTICE: As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.