On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Nathan <nawr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here are the ethical principles I think you're espousing:

I don't think you read my message very carefully.

> 1) Vicious, hurtful gossip and speculation about a female executive's
> private personal life is acceptable

No, inaccurate. Rather: "Private speculation about other people's personal
lives is to be expected, and for the most part is neither vicious nor
hurtful."

> 2) People who point out that this is a ridiculous position are
> manufacturing "outrage" to fuel drama

No, I never ascribed intent, and am confident the intent to fuel drama is
not there.

> 3) Recapping the whole sordid situation on a public, international mailing
> list is appropriate

No, I have not recapped the whole situation. What I think is appropriate is
that we find a way to bring the situation to a calm conclusion of some
kind. I think the ED has far more options at her disposal than anybody
else, as well as a fair amount of responsibility for it happening in the
first place, but to date hasn't done anything about it. I think it's
appropriate to voice concerns about a situation that appears to be having a
strong impact on the existing social structure of Wikipedia.

Finger-wagging about minor gossip is a distraction from the important
dynamics.

-Pete