Hi Lisa,

I admit I am not an expert in U.S. tax law, so I could be entirely misinterpreting it. But my read of the IRS instructions are that donors who donate more than $5000 in one year must be reported, *except* that any single donation of less than $1000 may be discounted when calculating this total. This seems to be a provision to reduce compliance costs, so small donations don't have to be tracked when determining when a donor has donated more than $5000 in a year.

Does that mean Wikimedia could accept donations of less than $1000 without asking for personal information?

Best,
Mark