Risker, some replies below:

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 7:59 PM, Risker <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:

> <snip>
> Perhaps you should get to know a bit more about bugzilla and its current
> usage;

<snip>

This topic is getting far afield. I have a reasonably good understanding of
how bugzilla works, and have reported and commented on a pretty wide
variety of bugs. I generally agree with everything you have to say about
it. My point really had nothing to do with platforms, though -- it was
about the way the organization and the movement approaches design. There
might be a worthwhile discussion to be had about platform use, but I don't
think it belongs in this thread, and I'm not sure I'd bother to participate
-- there are many people better qualified and more motivated than me to dig
into this stuff.

I'm sorry.  How, exactly, do you envision a new editor or reader improving
> file pages? There's not very much that can be edited there that isn't going
> to cause more problems than it solves.
> <snip>

I am frankly astonished to see you say this. I don't have to envision
anything -- I watch people improve file pages on a daily basis, in much
more straightforward ways than the examples you chose. The single most
obvious thing is to expand the "Description" field, which often only has a
few words -- but there are all kinds of things people can and do improve.
And "new editor or reader" -- that may be your requirement, but it's not
mine. Paths from "newbie" to "experienced" involve many steps, and I don't
see any reason why the *first* step should be so heavily emphasized. I
don't think "newness" is the end-all-be-all. If somebody has been dabbling
on English Wikipedia for a few years, and comes across an image that they
know something about, or have the skills to improve and re-upload, etc.,
that may be an important moment where they start to realize that English
Wikipedia is part of a broader multilingual community. But will that moment
occur if they only ever experience media through the Media Viewer? I do not
know the answer to that question for certain, but I have a pretty strong
hunch.

I am at a loss as to why a template on Commons has anything to do with the
> privacy of subjects of photos.

I'm with you. And if the MV team had taken this view, they might have
skipped basing the way that personality rights are communicated to readers
on one template that is, so far, inadequate to the task of helping
uploaders comply with [[COM:IDENT]]. But they didn't skip it -- they
checked "personality rights" off the list by making the MV include this
template.

Understandable, if you're trying to hit a looming deadline and scrambling
to get a lot of stuff done. But in the end, totally inadequate. The way we
handle personality rights is a matter of vital concern to the future of
Wikipedia -- this has, as you know, been the topic of many discussions on
the Gender Gap email list and elsewhere.

Well, if you don't have a problem with it, why are you including it in your
> list of problems?

The list of problems is so huge, Risker, that I hardly think it matters
what specifics I do or don't include. This is software that is out of step
with what the Wikimedia movement is trying to accomplish, pure and simple.
If you disagree, fine. We'll see how it plays out.

> <snip>
> In other words, you thought a discussion on a single site went well, but
> one that took place across hundreds of sites didn't do enough to inform
> people and seek feedback.

Actually, no -- I think the efforts at notification were reasonably good.
The bigger problem I see is not so much with the notification, but the way
the design process was conducted. To put it simply, the biggest issue is
that the team working on this software has a listening problem. It's one
I'm familiar with because I've experienced it in various interactions with
the broader WMF over a period of years. There is bias in the assumptions
the team brings to the project, and they "hear" the input that comes from
volunteers through the filter of that bias. One of the results is that in
many cases, they attempt to reflect back what was said to them, but end up
saying something completely different.

And when you're not doing a good job of listening, one of the overall
results is that you have a poor ability to predict how things will go. Lila
Tretikov asked on her user talk page last week:

"It is a bit strange to see this being such a big deal given that the
feature has been in Beta for nearly a year, was rolled out almost
everywhere else in April with no issues, and has been on the de site since
early June. So clearly it has not broken things. Why did it get so "hot"
*after* two month of being in production, without reader complaints? Just
wondering..."

As I stated in my response, although the WMF failed to predict that this
would be a hot issue, I predicted it clearly in February, and so did
another longtime community member. (If anybody wants to see that other
piece, let me know -- I now have permission to share it, actually an IRC
log, not an email.)
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:LilaTretikov&diff=9512960&oldid=9512915

<snip>
> In other words....everyone has something to learn here, but perhaps the
> most important and valuable point is that changes are going to keep
> happening across these sites - in fact, they're made every week, although
> not always as major as this - and there is a huge need from all sides for
> users to participate and identify concerns while software is being
> developed so that problems that aren't necessarily obvious to developers
> will be flushed out before largescale deployments.  At the same time,
> product managers and developers need to work with users to identify the
> difference between minor concerns and concerns that should be considered
> "blockers" as software is being developed/improved/modified/etc.

I agree 100%.

Pete