On Aug 31, 2014 11:46 PM, "Pine W" <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just in terms of the amount of everyone's time that MediaViewer,
> Superprotect
> and related issues are absorbing, this situation is a net negative for the
> projects.
> Also, the amount of emotional hostility that this situation involves is
> disheartening.
> Personally, I would like to see us building on each other's work instead
of
> feuding,
> and I'm getting MediaViewer issue fatigue.
>
> WMF's principal argument against letting projects make local decisions
> about
> configurations of MediaViewer seems to be that having a multitude of site
> configurations is impractical for site maintainability and development of
> new
> features. The Technical Committee would be in a good position to make
global
> decisions on a consensus basis.
>
> Pine

I've heard the argument that it is difficult to maintain and develop for
having different default states of this setting across different projects,
and frankly, I'm not buying it, unless the setting is intended to be
removed completely.

Could someone explain to me how having a different default state for the
setting has much, or any, impact?

- Martijn