I think you've hit the nail on the head here.  It's not about MediaViewer
at all, it's about two things:

#1: The frustration of some volunteers that they feel their views are not
being adequately considered in major deployments of new software.
#2: A lack of confidence and faith in the WMF Engineering team to deliver
quality software.

The second is the more dangerous one at this point.  After the catastrophic
aborted launch of the Visual Editor, complete with numerous bugs that
should have been picked up in even a cursory unit testing scheme or
regression testing scheme prior to being deployed to a productive
environment, there's not a good deal of faith left.  The technical problems
with MediaViewer were not as serious, but since a significant portion of
the power user base was expecting a failure, they jumped on the flaws that
it did have, and here we are.  To be honest, if Erik were to turn water
into wine at this point, people would still complain, and loudly, that he
had provided them with red when they wanted white.

I'm not sure that the solutions that have been offered; a new deployment
process, or a tech council, are going to be sufficient to correct the real
problem, which at this point is largely one of perception.  Similarly, I
don't think that the WMF adopting a complete hands-off approach as some
seem to be demanding is going to lead to anything other than stagnation as
individual communities squabble indecisively over what changes should be
made.  I do know that if it's not fixed, that pretty much every major
deployment of new features is going to follow this same pattern, which is
obviously highly undesirable.

What I'd suggest is that we leave the "emotional hostility" at the door and
try to be reasonable.  Neither side is going to get exactly what they want,
and that is to be expected.  To be honest, some of the invective that has
been directed at Foundation staff has been completely over the top; phrases
like "Taliban diplomacy" or honest-to-god comparisons to the Nazis don't
move us towards a solution or make one seem like someone that can be
intelligently reasoned with, they only harden feelings on both sides and
make a suitable arrangement being found less likely.  No employee should be
made to receive that sort of harassment in the course of their job, no
matter how much you disagree with them.

Cheers,
Craig Franklin