> tl;dr: We've been collectively whining about templates for long enough. Who
> wants to help with fixing them?

I want to help fix them.

> I hope we can, for the coming period, accomplish the following:
>
> * Catalog the problems with templates. Make a comprehensive list that
> enumerates the problems with templates we have now, categories the problems
> (right now I'm roughly thinking in style, wikitext parsing rules and
> generated HTML, creation and writing issues (let's hope there is little of
> this one left after Scribunto), and usability by editors).
> * Note which quirks that lead to technical difficulties are used in the
> wild as features rather than bugs.
> * Brain storm possible (partial) solutions.
> * Find candidates that have high bang-for-buck possible solutions without
> impeding future improvements much.
> * Refine those solutions so we know quite exactly what it will fix, what it
> won't fix, and what it would possibly break.
> * Define sane fallback procedures for when things break; this should mainly
> come from the editing communities, but could probably use some guidance of
> what is possible/easy/logical/feasible from a technical POV from the
> development community.
> * Fix templates.

I'd like to add distribution as one of the pain points. I wanted to
have the templates that are available on enwiki for another Mediawiki
installation, but I couldn't get them to work. It seems like every
template has a maze of dependencies, and when I resorted to exporting
all of the templates from the Mediawiki site, the software
consistently crashed before all templates were exported. I might have
been doing it wrong, but I couldn't find any other options. Ideally,
something like a package management system for templates, extensions,
and skins would be a godsend.

> What do you all think? Should we make this happen?

I'm no template expert, but I agree with a lot of what you've said
based on the experiences I've had. I think we should discuss this
somewhere that is less transient than this list. ln short, I'm down.

,Wil