On 3 December 2014 at 05:08, Amir E. Aharoni <amir.ahar...@mail.huji.ac.il>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a vague recollection that when I started editing the English
> Wikipedia ten years ago, there was a notice near the Save button, which
> said something like this: "Your changes will be edited mercilessly".
>
> I remember similar notices in other languages as well, though even more
> vaguely.
>
> I don't see it now. I checked English, Hebrew and Russian.
>
> Does anybody know why was it removed? Did the editors communities just
> decide independently to remove it for whatever reason? If it was, I'd love
> to see links to discussions if anybody has them. Or was it a design
> decision by the Foundation?

​The messages in question are <copyrightwarning
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/diffusion/MW/browse/master/languages/i18n/en.json;2e2958d6d9107fcc479183eaf2dc86247f87072e$650>>
and <copyrightwarning2
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/diffusion/MW/browse/master/languages/i18n/en.json;2e2958d6d9107fcc479183eaf2dc86247f87072e$651>>
in MediaWiki core, which still use this term. However, as Nemo says,
Wikimedia cluster wikis use a different message provided by the
WikimediaMessages extension that doesn't currently include the term. I
imagine it fell foul of the work to make the language simple and easy to
understand when those were written.

J.
--
James D. Forrester