Thanks Nemo and James.

In case you haven't guessed already, I am wondering whether having this
message is a good idea or a bad idea.

I don't really know and I can only make some guesses.

I knew what a wiki was when I first encountered Wikipedia in 2004. Because
of this, the "edited mercilessly" part made sense to me, but I was still
happy to see that message - it helped me know that I indeed understand what
"wiki" means. I presume that a lot of other people didn't know what a wiki
is back then, because Wikipedia was the first wiki that became so popular,
and that's probably why the message was put there.

In 2014, Wikipedia is still more popular than any other wiki, by far. I
(further) presume that lot of people today don't know what a wiki actually
is, and just think that it's the shorter name of that website that keeps
popping up when they google for stuff. If this is true, then when new users
try to join, they are likely not to fully understand that their
contributions will be edited mercilessly.

So what I'm wondering about is:
Should that message be put back there to set the right expectations?
Should it be put back only on article creation, to make sure that people
don't think that they own the articles they are creating?
Should it not be put back there because people just need to be smart enough
to figure out for themselves that if they can edit an article, everybody
else can, too?
Should it not be put back there because it would create clutter?
Should it not be put back there because the word "mercilessly" is quite
unpleasant? Should any other message be put instead?

I honestly don't know; I'm just throwing ideas around, and your input is
welcome. As always, I'd be especially happy to hear opinions not just from
the English Wikipedia.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬